Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Charlotte Cupcakes - It's a Piece of Cake

There’s at least two closed cupcake shops I’ve run into in Indian Trail, but along Indian Trail Road, there’s a cupcake shop that’s in business.

It’s A Piece of Cake is located in a small strip mall near the Ace Hardware.

I drove by a couple of times before, but each time the store looked like it was closed. I called ahead to make sure it was actually open. It was, so the Indian Trail cupcake taste test was good to go.

The cupcake shop isn’t much to look at inside. There was a display case, but there were a bunch of seemingly random things in there as well. It was almost like a garage sale. It was like a pawn shop-turned-bakery.

Nonetheless, there were a few different flavors of cupcakes in plastic six-packs in the display cases, so I chose three of them: a Twix cupcake, an Almond Joy cupcake, and a chocolate cupcake.




Twix Cupcake

I tried the Twix cupcake first because it’s one of my favorite candy bars.

Sadly, if I hadn’t bought it, I wouldn’t have known that it was a Twix cupcake.

It tasted more like a Snickers cupcake --- or a vanilla cupcake with a little chocolate drizzle on top and some nuts in the middle.

The cupcake didn’t taste bad though.

The vanilla frosting on top, drizzled with some caramel worked great with the very distinctive homemade cupcake taste. You know how you can tell when something is store-bought versus something that your mother, grandmother or aunt made?

That was the case with this cupcake. Actually, that was the case with all three cupcakes I tried. They had that homemade taste that can't be duplicated in packaged cupcakes from the grocery store.



Chocolate cupcake

What a good combination this was! The chocolate cupcake and the vanilla frosting tasted great together. It’s not an innovative combination, but it’s one of the better chocolate cupcakes I’ve had.

It’s all about the flavor and this one had it. I'm not really a chocolate lover -- at least not in the form of baked goods. I prefer blueberry, cinnamon, and lemon poppyseed muffins over a chocolate one. I'd much rather have an apple pie than chocolate silk. I like dark chocolate candies and chocolate milkshakes, but cupcakes? I can usually pass one of those up.

This one made me a believer though.

The homemade chocolatey taste, coupled with the awesomely sweet vanilla frosting, made a really good cupcake.



Almond Joy

I’m not a big fan of coconut, but I ended up with an Almond Joy cupcake. For some reason when the woman at the counter said, ‘Almond Joy,’ I got the image of a Skor bar in my head.

I guess I had toffee on the mind. Anyway, I was too embarrassed to admit my mistake, so I ended up with the Almond Joy cupcake.

Since I had it, I figured I might as well give it a shot. It was actually tasty.

I had to floss the coconut out of my mouth afterwards, but the cupcake tasted good. The topping is really what did it for me though. There was a nice amount of creamy and rich chocolate frosting.

I probably wouldn't buy another one (because of the coconut), but it wasn't bad (considering it had coconut).


The positives: The homemade aspect would get me to stop back for another visit. The vanilla frosting on the chocolate cupcake was amazing too!

The negatives: the lack of identifiable flavor in the Twix cupcake and the fact that I ended up buying an Almond Joy cupcake.

Cost: The filled cupcakes (the Twix and Almond Joy) were $1.50, much lower than the prices you'll find in areas closer to Uptown Charlotte. The unfilled cupcakes that It's a Piece of Cake offers are only $1.25, even lower. The three cupcakes I bought equaled out to an overall total of $4.34. Not bad at all.


It's A Piece Of Cake
313 N. Indian Trail Rd., Indian Trail, NC 28079
Phone: 704-234-2749
E-mail: itsapieceofcakenc@yahoo.com


Related Content:
Charlotte Cupcakes - Black Velvet Patisserie
Charlotte Cupcakes - Maggiemoos
Charlotte Cupcakes: Kai's Kookies and More
Charlotte Cupcakes: Two On Earth Bakery
Charlotte Cupcakes: FuManChu Cupcakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - The Bakery Shoppe
Charlotte Cupcakes - Jewell Treats
Charlotte Cupcakes - SweetCakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - Just Baked Cupcakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - La Bree's cupcakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - Bake Me A Cake
Charlotte Cupcakes - Tizzerts
Charlotte Cupcakes - Suarez Bakery
Charlotte Cupcakes - Cupcake Delirium
Charlotte Cupcakes - Sunflour Bakery
Charlotte Cupcakes – Kimberley’s Bakeshoppe Gourmet Cupcakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - Nona's Sweets

No comments:

Post a Comment