Sunday, May 12, 2013

Charlotte Cupcakes: FuManChu Cupcakes


Finally! This week I snagged myself a FuManChu cupcake. Unlike some other cupcakes in Charlotte, there are some very original flavors at FuManChu -- several of which include alcohol.

It's a business started up by a man in Charlotte. His website says he's trying to open up shop someplace. I stumbled upon the site last year, when it said a shop would be opening in December. Plans fell through apparently because the shop is still in the works.

That means the only way to get a FuManChu cupcake is to pick it up from one of the bars that sells them. Each Tuesday and Thursday they are available at a bar or restaurant in NoDa, on North Davidson Street.

I tried to pick one up a couple of month's ago, but the bar they were being sold at was closed because there was some kind of small group theatre production happening. I tried the following Thursday, but Mr. FuManChu was sick, so there were no cupcakes available that day.

Needless to say, I was happy to see a tweet mentioning that they'd be available at Salud Beer Shop at Davidson and E. 36th Street. After work, I stopped by to pick one up.

They do charge for parking there, but only if you're staying to dine. When I told the parking attendant I was there to pick up a cupcake, he had no problems letting me in.

The cupcakes were enclosed in an upside down plastic cup, like some of the other mobile cupcake sellers use.

There was only one flavor available that night, so I didn't have any troubles deciding which cupcake to buy. I really didn't care because, after weeks of waiting, I finally had a FuManChu Cupcake.


Salted Caramel with Bacon

The poor little cupcake had a lot to live up to. It had been hyped up in my head because I'd had a few problems getting a hold of one.

I didn't eat it right away. I went home, made some supper, and then ate the cupcake.

Before I ate it, I warmed it up in the microwave for about 20 seconds.

That was probably 5 seconds too much because the several tiny swirls frosting on top had started to melt.

Nonetheless, I cut into the cupcake and the caramel gushed out. I quickly scooped up a bite.

It was incredible! The homemade caramel tasted delicious!

The salty, crispy bacon mixed with the sweet caramel and the butter cream frosting was a perfect combination.

As cupcakes go, it wasn't mammoth. It was a regular-sized cupcake, if not on the smaller side, so it didn't last too long. Five-to-ten bites and it was gone. I tried to savor the taste though.

I've had salted caramel with bacon cupcakes before, but this one was even more impressive. The cupcake tasted fine, but it was the pool of caramel inside the cupcake that stole the show. I haven't tasted homemade caramel that good since my Grandma's caramel rolls.


The positives: needless to say, this cupcake rocked my socks off on many levels. The tastes cooperated with each other and the caramel was an added bonus.

The negatives: the only negatives are that I only bought one cupcake and that it wasn't bigger.

Cost: $3 is somewhat expensive considering the cupcake wasn't as large as some others I've had, but the delicious ingredients did make up for it.


FuManChu Cupcakes
Twitter handle: @FunManChuCupCake


Related Content:
Charlotte Cupcakes - The Bakery Shoppe
Charlotte Cupcakes - Jewell Treats
Charlotte Cupcakes - SweetCakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - Just Baked Cupcakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - La Bree's cupcakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - Bake Me A Cake
Charlotte Cupcakes - Tizzerts
Charlotte Cupcakes - Suarez Bakery
Charlotte Cupcakes - Cupcake Delirium
Charlotte Cupcakes - Sunflour Bakery
Charlotte Cupcakes – Kimberley’s Bakeshoppe Gourmet Cupcakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - Nona's Sweets

No comments:

Post a Comment