Monday, August 12, 2013

Charlotte Cupcakes - Splat! Cakes n Such

Of all the cupcake shops I've been to this year, I think this week's business has the most creative name:
Splat! Cakes n Such.

The owner of the shop says the name was inspired by her kitchen: "Well, it is simply a fun word that colorfully describes what my kitchen looks like while I'm baking..."

Splat is located right on the main street in Lowell, North Carolina.

Of all the cupcake shops I've been to this year, this one also had one of the largest selection of flavors -- or at least the most unique.

Every flavor isn't offered every day -- that's how they keep you coming back -- but there were about a dozen different flavors to choose from on the day I went.

With so many choices to choose from, I had no problem picking out four different cupcakes.


Bubble Gum Cupcake

They nailed the taste on this cupcake! It seriously tasted exactly like Bubble Yum – both the cupcake and the frosting.

They got the taste dead on -- unfortunately.

It wasn’t a flavor that worked well in a cupcake – at least in this case.

I didn’t finish the cupcake because the taste was just too overwhelming. I tried to finish it a little later, but even then, I couldn't. It wasn't that there was too much sugar (the frosting was way too sweet though).

It wasn't that it didn't taste like bubble gum.

It's that it tasted too much like bubble gum. I guess some flavors aren't meant to be made in cupcake form.





Cookie Dough

There’s cookie dough baked in at the bottom of this cupcake. It had the taste of an actual chocolate chip cookie. Who can complain about that, right?

Maybe the actual miniature chocolate chip cookie helped out in making the taste authentic.

The frosting was very sweet, once again, but it tasted much better than the bubble gum.

I’m pretty sure the frosting can give you diabetes. It does taste good though.

It creates a very happy marriage between cookie dough flavoring and cupcake.



Puttin on the Ritz

This one was very good!

I was intrigued about trying it because it seemed so original. I've heard of fillings and pudding and whipped cream inside of cupcakes, but I hadn't heard of Ritz crackers being baked inside of one.

The actual cupcake was made of white chocolate cake. It was baked with Ritz crackers and topped with peanut butter frosting. Some white chocolate was also drizzled on the top of the frosting. I've found that the extra garnishes are usually welcome additions to the cupcake and frosting. This was no exception.

The peanut butter-tasting frosting was an interesting choice. It’s not one I would have necessarily chosen, but I liked it a lot.

For the most part the only kind of cupcakes you see peanut butter frosting on are the peanut butter flavored cupcakes. A vanilla cupcake with peanut butter frosting on top didn't seem so odd when I was eating bite after bite of it.




Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake

This was amazing! It was super sweet. The vanilla cupcake was filled with pureed strawberries and whipped cream. Strawberry frosting rounded it out perfectly.

There was a real strawberry bit on top, which I wasn’t too thrilled about.

While I like most foods that are strawberry-flavored, I am not a fan of real strawberries. Not sure why, but that’s the case.

The cupcake, the strawberries, the whipped cream and the frosting all mixed together made for an amazing cupcake -- one of the best strawberry cupcakes I've had.

It was a delicious cupcake! Seriously good.



Splat! Cakes n Such
116 N. Main Street, Lowell, North Carolina 28098
Visit them on Facebook
Phone: (980) 522-6276


The positives: I really liked the variety of flavors to choose from. Granted, the bubble gum didn't work and my favorite was the strawberry cupcake (not exactly an original flavor), but I'm anxious to go back to Splat because of the dozens of flavors listed on their website.

The negatives: the bubble gum cupcake, by far. Maybe some of you will like it. I definitely didn't.

The cost: regular cupcakes are $2.00, while specialty cupcakes are $2.50.


Related Content:
Charlotte Cupcakes - Berry's Bakery
Charlotte Cupcakes - Polka Dot Bake Shop
Charlotte Cupcakes - Wow Factor Cakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - Cupcrazed
Charlotte Cupcakes - SAS Cupcakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - Decadent Designs Bakery
Charlotte Cupcakes - It's a Piece of Cake
Charlotte Cupcakes - Black Velvet Patisserie
Charlotte Cupcakes - Maggiemoos
Charlotte Cupcakes: Kai's Kookies and More
Charlotte Cupcakes: Two On Earth Bakery
Charlotte Cupcakes: FuManChu Cupcakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - The Bakery Shoppe
Charlotte Cupcakes - Jewell Treats
Charlotte Cupcakes - SweetCakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - Just Baked Cupcakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - La Bree's cupcakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - Bake Me A Cake
Charlotte Cupcakes - Tizzerts
Charlotte Cupcakes - Suarez Bakery
Charlotte Cupcakes - Cupcake Delirium
Charlotte Cupcakes - Sunflour Bakery
Charlotte Cupcakes – Kimberley’s Bakeshoppe Gourmet Cupcakes
Charlotte Cupcakes - Nona's Sweets


No comments:

Post a Comment