Friday, December 28, 2018

Rampage - reviewed.

I didn’t intend on watching this but it was the best option of the flight I was recently on. So, Rampage it was.

Sometimes it’s best to go into a movie with no (or minimal) expectations because it surprises you.

I’ll admit that the movie didn’t start the way I thought it would.

Granted I didn’t watch every trailer so maybe the setup of the movie was previewed in one of those.

The Rock is a zookeeper (or zoologist?).  He has a special bond with one gorilla in particular.  A space crash, one mad scientist and a full-on mutation later, Davis Okoye (The Rock) is now teaming up with an attractive genetic engineer, Dr. Kate Caldwell (Naomie Harris).

Davis' relationship with George was a bit corny. Or a lot corny. I don’t know exactly what it’s like dealing with apes, but I find it very hard to believe that they can understand dialogue the way The Rock’s character was delivering it.

A basic understanding? Sure. But understanding sarcasm (enough to flip a human off)? I doubt it.

I’m no animal expert so maybe.  I doubt it though.

The genetics theme is a bit overplayed.  It’s just like Jurassic Park. When will these movie humans learn?

Don’t mess with things you shouldn’t mess with.

Anyway, turns out there's not just a mutated, giant gorilla.  There's a wolf and an alligator too.

I won't spoil all of it (there's not much to spoil) in case you want to watch it but the animals are all teaming up in a common goal until Davis can get a chance to make George snap out of it.

There's a government agent (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) who is kind of Davis' frenemy.  He's Against Davis and then he's helping him.  I felt like that relationship should have had a more pivotal turning point.  There wasn't though.

The villain (basically the scheming, corporate mad scientist) in the movie was played by Malin Ã…kerman.  She's a good actress and does well with the role, but at the end of the day it's all too cartoonish to be taken seriously.

I like a lot of light-hearted movies or over-the-top movies but this failed on those fronts.  It just wasn't that entertaining.  It was preditiable and too 'out there' to be remotely plausible.


Related Content:
Life of the Party - reviewed.
Bumblebee - reviewed.
Aquaman - reviewed.
The Christmas Chronicles - reviewed.
Tomb Raider - reviewed.
Venom - reviewed.
Ant-Man and The Wasp - reviewed.
The Avengers: Infinity War - reviewed.
The Black Panther - reviewed.
My most anticipated movies of 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment