Thousands of people were in Concord for the Bank of America 500 this weekend. I made a stop, just south of the Speedway, at Granny Mac's Bake Shop.
I wasn't really sure what to expect going there. Had I checked out their website, I probably would've had a better idea.
Once you walk in, there are donuts, cookies and other goodies to the right. The cupcakes are to the left.
I started walking to the display case and quickly noticed that these cupcakes are huge! They’re Perkins Mammoth Muffins huge or Sam’s Club huge.
One thing's for sure: you don't need too many of these cupcakes to make a hearty dessert.
This cupcake was potent! I could smell it in my car on the way home even though the cupcake was securely packed into a plastic bakery box.
There's a nice strawberry flavor to it. In searching for awesome cupcakes this year, I've realized that some strawberry cupcakes have a really strong strawberry flavor (almost to the point of being too strong) while others have a more subdued taste. This cupcake is right in between those two, with the kind of strawberry flavor that would make Strawberry Shortcake wish she was called "Strawberry Cupcake."
Unfortunately the cupcake wasn't incredibly moist. That would've made it a better experience.
The cream cheese frosting (with sprinkle bits on top) was a nice pairing for the strawberry cupcake. Cream cheese frosting is usually a standard for red velvet cupcakes, but I don't remember running across too many strawberry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. It's a nice combination, for sure.
Oooh...I didn't like this one. The cupcake looked amazing, especially with the candy chunks on top of the frosting. It wasn't good though.
There was a peanut butter taste to the cupcake, but it was more of a stale peanut butter taste than a good one.
I actually didn't finish it. If it were a miniature cupcake, it may not have been so bad, but a huge cupcake that didn't taste very good? I had to leave a lot of it on my plate.
I'm not sure what went wrong with it, but I've had other peanut butter cupcakes with that same kind of stale taste. Peanut butter is a hard flavor to successfully capture in cupcake form.
I love anything pumpkin, so it would be hard for them to mess this one up. Thankfully they didn’t.
It could’ve used a little more pumpkin spice, but it was a mammoth, moist, deliciously pumpkin-flavored cupcake. In other words, mmmm mmm!
The frosting, although plentiful on this cupcake, was my only complaint. It would’ve been so much better if it was cream cheese or if it was somehow infused with Cool Whip.
The white frosting was fine, but it’s a pumpkin cupcake. Go all out on it!
I didn’t end up eating the frosting actually. Since it was good enough, I enjoyed my pumpkin cupcake by itself.
The positives: these are seriously huge cupcakes! Great flavor in both the strawberry and the pumpkin cupcakes.
The negatives: I didn't like the peanut butter cupcake. The strawberry could have been more moist as well.
The price: not only are they massive, but these cupcakes are only $2.50 a piece.
Granny Mac's Bake Shop
5040 Highway 49 South, Harrisburg, NC 28075
Phone: (704) 454-4634
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Daphne’s Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Earth Fare
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Cloud 9 Confections
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Novel Sweets
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Jenn's Sugarlicious Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Sweet Lorraine's Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Maddy's Fatty's
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Splat! Cakes n Such
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Berry's Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Polka Dot Bake Shop
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Wow Factor Cakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Cupcrazed
• Charlotte Cupcakes - SAS Cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Decadent Designs Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - It's a Piece of Cake
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Black Velvet Patisserie
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Maggiemoos
• Charlotte Cupcakes: Kai's Kookies and More
• Charlotte Cupcakes: Two On Earth Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes: FuManChu Cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - The Bakery Shoppe
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Jewell Treats
• Charlotte Cupcakes - SweetCakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Just Baked Cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - La Bree's cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Bake Me A Cake
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Tizzerts
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Suarez Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Cupcake Delirium
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Sunflour Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes – Kimberley’s Bakeshoppe Gourmet Cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Nona's Sweets