It's a double dose of cupcakes today since I missed posting last week.
I'd heard about DOUGH bakery several months ago. I was at an event they provided treats for and ended up with one of their business cards.
I went online to the DOUGH website, but it didn't list cupcakes as one of the goodies they bake. That left me with the old fashioned option: I called them.
I asked if they had cupcakes and the man on the other end told me they did. They had chocolate, vanilla and, the new standard, red velvet. Obviously, they didn't have the selection of a shop that's dedicated specifically to cupcakes. I figured I'd give them a shot.
When I got to the store, it was just as the man on the phone had said. There were a handful of cupcakes available in three flavors: vanilla, chocolate and red velvet.
They added some variety by mixing up the frosting. Some chocolate cupcakes had chocolate frosting while others had vanilla. Some vanilla cupcakes were topped with vanilla frosting, while some were topped with chocolate.
The red velvet cupcake was the only one without an additional frosting option.
The red velvet was a no-brainer for me. Typically, I'd probably go for a vanilla cupcake, but it's hard to turn down a chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting.
Chocolate Cupcake (with vanilla frosting)
The chocolate cupcake was actually very good. It wasn't very moist, but it had a nice taste.
Some chocolate cupcakes have that chocolate brownie taste. This one didn't. It certainly seemed like there was some dark chocolate in it, which was fine with me. Dark chocolate seems to trump milk chocolate every time, no matter what edible form it takes.
Like I said before, I'm usually a fan of chocolate treats that is topped with vanilla frosting. Those make for some of the tastiest cake donuts. That combination worked well for DOUGH's cupcake too. The candy corn candies were a nice touch, though I assume they were added specifically for Halloween.
Red Velvet Cupcake
This cupcake was a little unusual. It didn't taste like your typical red velvet cupcake. There was a little bit of chocolate flavor that ended each bite, but the majority of the taste was vanilla.
Not to be outdone, the frosting wasn't typical either. It wasn't exactly cream cheese, but it didn't taste like the same frosting that was on the chocolate cupcake. The single red red M&M tasted normal though.
I couldn't pinpoint what was so different about the flavors in this cupcake, but it wasn't a bad thing.
The cupcake and frosting were flavorful enough, even if they weren't completely typical. I'd deem it a unique success.
The positives: the cupcakes, though simple, proved that simple, when done right, works.
The negatives: neither cupcake was very moist
The price: $4.98 for the two cupcakes seemed a little expensive. It breaks down to $2.49 a piece, but I guess I've been spoiled by Granny Mac's.
360 Exchange St NW #111 Concord, NC 28027
Phone: (704) 721-0177
• Charlotte Cupcakes – BW Sweets Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Cake Makin' Sisters
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Granny Mac's Bake Shop
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Daphne’s Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Earth Fare
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Cloud 9 Confections
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Novel Sweets
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Jenn's Sugarlicious Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Sweet Lorraine's Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Maddy's Fatty's
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Splat! Cakes n Such
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Berry's Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Polka Dot Bake Shop
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Wow Factor Cakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Cupcrazed
• Charlotte Cupcakes - SAS Cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Decadent Designs Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - It's a Piece of Cake
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Black Velvet Patisserie
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Maggiemoos
• Charlotte Cupcakes: Kai's Kookies and More
• Charlotte Cupcakes: Two On Earth Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes: FuManChu Cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - The Bakery Shoppe
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Jewell Treats
• Charlotte Cupcakes - SweetCakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Just Baked Cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - La Bree's cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Bake Me A Cake
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Tizzerts
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Suarez Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Cupcake Delirium
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Sunflour Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes – Kimberley’s Bakeshoppe Gourmet Cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Nona's Sweets