Skip to main content

Charlotte Cupcakes - DOUGH Bakery

It's a double dose of cupcakes today since I missed posting last week.

I'd heard about DOUGH bakery several months ago. I was at an event they provided treats for and ended up with one of their business cards.

I went online to the DOUGH website, but it didn't list cupcakes as one of the goodies they bake. That left me with the old fashioned option: I called them.

I asked if they had cupcakes and the man on the other end told me they did. They had chocolate, vanilla and, the new standard, red velvet. Obviously, they didn't have the selection of a shop that's dedicated specifically to cupcakes. I figured I'd give them a shot.

When I got to the store, it was just as the man on the phone had said. There were a handful of cupcakes available in three flavors: vanilla, chocolate and red velvet.

They added some variety by mixing up the frosting. Some chocolate cupcakes had chocolate frosting while others had vanilla. Some vanilla cupcakes were topped with vanilla frosting, while some were topped with chocolate.

The red velvet cupcake was the only one without an additional frosting option.

The red velvet was a no-brainer for me. Typically, I'd probably go for a vanilla cupcake, but it's hard to turn down a chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting.


Chocolate Cupcake (with vanilla frosting)

The chocolate cupcake was actually very good. It wasn't very moist, but it had a nice taste.

Some chocolate cupcakes have that chocolate brownie taste. This one didn't. It certainly seemed like there was some dark chocolate in it, which was fine with me. Dark chocolate seems to trump milk chocolate every time, no matter what edible form it takes.

Like I said before, I'm usually a fan of chocolate treats that is topped with vanilla frosting. Those make for some of the tastiest cake donuts. That combination worked well for DOUGH's cupcake too. The candy corn candies were a nice touch, though I assume they were added specifically for Halloween.


Red Velvet Cupcake

This cupcake was a little unusual. It didn't taste like your typical red velvet cupcake. There was a little bit of chocolate flavor that ended each bite, but the majority of the taste was vanilla.

Not to be outdone, the frosting wasn't typical either. It wasn't exactly cream cheese, but it didn't taste like the same frosting that was on the chocolate cupcake. The single red red M&M tasted normal though.

I couldn't pinpoint what was so different about the flavors in this cupcake, but it wasn't a bad thing.

The cupcake and frosting were flavorful enough, even if they weren't completely typical. I'd deem it a unique success.


The positives: the cupcakes, though simple, proved that simple, when done right, works.

The negatives: neither cupcake was very moist

The price: $4.98 for the two cupcakes seemed a little expensive. It breaks down to $2.49 a piece, but I guess I've been spoiled by Granny Mac's.

DOUGH
360 Exchange St NW #111 Concord, NC 28027
Phone: (704) 721-0177


Related Content:
• Charlotte Cupcakes – BW Sweets Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Cake Makin' Sisters
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Granny Mac's Bake Shop
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Daphne’s Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Earth Fare
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Cloud 9 Confections
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Novel Sweets
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Jenn's Sugarlicious Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Sweet Lorraine's Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Maddy's Fatty's
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Splat! Cakes n Such
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Berry's Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Polka Dot Bake Shop
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Wow Factor Cakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Cupcrazed
• Charlotte Cupcakes - SAS Cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Decadent Designs Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - It's a Piece of Cake
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Black Velvet Patisserie
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Maggiemoos
• Charlotte Cupcakes: Kai's Kookies and More
• Charlotte Cupcakes: Two On Earth Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes: FuManChu Cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - The Bakery Shoppe
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Jewell Treats
• Charlotte Cupcakes - SweetCakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Just Baked Cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - La Bree's cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Bake Me A Cake
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Tizzerts
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Suarez Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Cupcake Delirium
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Sunflour Bakery
• Charlotte Cupcakes – Kimberley’s Bakeshoppe Gourmet Cupcakes
• Charlotte Cupcakes - Nona's Sweets


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity (look-a-like) sightings - part 4

Another exciting edition of celebrity look-a-likes -- part 4 to be exact. On the left: Wes Scantlin On the right: Edge Edge was in the first two blogs about celebrity look-a-likes, so why not another time? Evidently I think this guy looks like just about everyone on Earth. I previously compared him to Jamie Campbell Bower and Wilson Bethel, but this time I think I got it right: he's the spitting image of Puddle of Mudd member Wes Scantlin! These days Edge doesn't have the shaggy hair , but when he was in his "Rated R Superstar" run in the WWE in 2006, he definitely could've passed for Scantlin. The big, square jaw and toothy grin? Yep -- they must be some kind of family. On the left: Kelly Kelly On the right: Amber Heard From a former WWE superstar to a former WWE Diva. When I heard that Johnny Depp got engaged to Amber Heard, I typed my way over to Google and found a photo. I was looking at Amber Heard, but could've sworn it was K...

Celebrity (look-a-like) sightings - part 3

Part 1 and Part 2 were good, but I think there's some definite look-a-likes this time around. I'll get right to the comparisons, but let me know what you think? Am I spot on or what? I saved the very best (and closest comparison) for last this time, so make sure to scroll to the bottom of the page. On the left: Edge On the right: Jamie Campbell Bower May as well start with a wrestling-related one. It seems those pro wrestlers have doppelgängers all over. I'd mentioned before that Wilson Bethel resembles Edge . I still stand by that statement. However, I think Jamie Campbell Bower looks even more like Edge. Jamie Bower, for those who are unaware like I was, is an actor who has quite an impressive resume already. I just watched The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (review to come later) and that's the first time I saw him...or so I thought. Jamie was in the final three Twilight movies, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 and 2 , and t...

Celebrity (look-a-like) sightings

I was on vacation last week and for a change I thankfully (or maybe not?) had Netflix access. I was addicted to it for most of the last week, watching Greedy (not Michael Fox's best film), Pretty Ugly People (which got a deserving low score of 33% on Rotten Tomatoes ), and Hart of Dixie (a review of that show to come at a later date...). While watching Hart of Dixie I couldn't help but notice a couple of instances of celebrity look-a-likes. On the left: Jaime King On the right: Emma Stone First there’s Jaime King, who plays Lemon Breeland, a southern belle from a small town. For most of the first episode of the hour-long drama, I was convinced that Lemon Breeland was played by Emma Stone. If Emma hadn’t dyed her hair and played Gwen Stacy in The Amazing Spider-Man , I wouldn’t have given it a second though. After seeing Stone in her blonde hair, however, she really could be King’s sister. It's all in the dimples with these two. I think that's what m...